Oliver SHEARMAN (23 Jan 1732/33 Freetown, MA - will of 1 Dec.. 1795, proved 13 Jan 1801 Monmouth Co.., NJ) md Abigail ??? (c 1735 - alive 1795), parents not yet determined.. Oliver probably moved to Monmouth Co.., NJ, with his parents before 1759. On 8 Mar 1759, Oliver SHEARMAN bought land in Shrewsbury twp from Joseph POTTER. Oliver probably lived on this land until his death.. It was sold 4 Oct. 1809 to Cornelius VAN NOTE, who in turn with his wife Mary sold it to their son, William VAN NOTE.. William in turn with his wife Artless sold the land to William Bearmore on 13 Dec.. 1828.. There was an older SHEARMAN family in Monmouth Co.. by 1761 as Patience SHEARMAN md Silas COOK 25 May 1761.. It is known that the SHEARMAN family came from Freetown, MA .. It is not known when or where Oliver SHEARMAN md Abigail ??? but it seems not to have been in Freetown, MA, as no marriage record has been found there.
Oliver SHEARMAN clearly lived on his Shrewsbury land as he was on tax lists there from 1780 through 1794. Thomas, son of Oliver, was on the same list by 1786 through March 1789. James SHEARMAN, probably son of Oliver, was on the lists by 1789.. Oliver made his will at Shrewsbury 1 Dec. 1795, his inventory was 2 July 1796, and his will proved 13 June 1801, according to the abstracts. Oliver bequeathed to his wife, Abigail; dau. Mary VANNONT (VANNOTE); sons Thomas and James; grandson Thomas, son of David; and grandson David, son of James. Executor was neighbor Jeremiah NEWMAN. Witnesses were John KINNEY, James HOLLOWAY, and Benjamin JACKSON. Inventory was by James HOLLOWAY and Benjamin JACKSON. (There was an intestate proceeding for James SHEARMAN in 1799, with Samuel HOLLOWAY appointed administrator on 23 Jan 1799 with bondsmen Benjamin JACKSON and Thomas LITTLE, Jr. Inventory was 21 Jan 1799 by Benjamin JACKSON and James HOLLOWAY. (No wife nor children were mentioned.) Known children of Oliver and Abigail:
1. Mary (c 1760 - (alive in 1795) md Levi VAN NOTE and VAN NOTE children incl. Elizabeth (who md Samuel PAGE); Jacob; William; Ann (md Nicholas BEEHART); Mary; and possible others. Only Elizabeth has been traced. (Carol HOUGH'S line!)
2. Thomas, son of Oliver, on tax lists by 1786 - alive in 1795) received from his father's 1795 will. There were two or three Thomas SHEARMAN deaths later in Monmouth Co. There was a Thomas SHEARMAN, Sr., will and inv. in 1840. (Hank Sherman's Thomas) There was a Thomas SHEARMAN inv. in 1847.'
3. David (not on tax lists and did not receive from his father's will). He married----------- and had son Thomas who did receive from his grandfather's will "as Thomas SHEARMAN, son of David". (This younger Thomas may be one of those who later died in Monmouth Co. Hank Sherman's connection.)
4. James (on tax lists by 1789 (and prob. died. intestate by 21 Jan 1799) married _________ and had son David who received from his grandfather's estate. The same families were involved with his intestate proceedings as with the estate of Oliver SHEARMAN. His son David may show-up on records as David, Jr.
5. There were other SHEARMAN families who show up with Oliver on tax lists or on will and intestate records. Oliver's parents, Thomas and Phebe SHEARMAN, were at West Long Branch. His brother Thomas, married Mary VAN NOTE and first lived at Manasquan, then at West Long Branch. Thomas and Mary, on 26 March 1797 sold to John THROCKMORTON, son of James and Rosina (VAN NOTE) THROCKMORTON, 25 acres of land in Shrewsbury twp. which Thomas has purchased in 1787. The Thomas Jr. will and inventory were in 1829 . There could also be children of Oliver not mentioned in his will.
Shearman lineage is Oliver and Abigail (-------------)Shearman of MA and NJ; Thomas and Phebe (Lawton) of MA and NJ Benjamin and Hannah (Read) of Freetown, MA; Peleg and Elizabeth (Lawton) of RI; Phillip and Sarah (Odding) of England, MA, and RI; Samuel and Phillipa (Ward) of Dedham, Co. Essex, England; Henry and Susan (Lawrence) of Dedham Henry and Agnes (Butter) of Yaxley, Co. Suffolk, England; Thomas and Jane (Waller) of Co. Norfolk, England; James and Agnes (Fuller) of Yaxley, Co Suffolk; Thom as and Agnes (----------) of Yaxley, Co. Suffolk;
Abigail's family name is not yet known.
References for Shea O&A, C3, 12 Jan 1993:
NJ A 39:394 (will of Oliver Shearman) (State =
NJ A 38:321 (will of James Shearman)
Monmouth Co Wills: Thomas Shearman, Sr., 10540M, W 1840, Inv 1840
Monmouth Co Wills: Thomas Shearman, Sr., Inv 1847
Monmouth Co Land Deeds for Shrewsbury twp incl DBR:492-493.
Freetown MA, Vital Records pp 150-151, Roy V. Sherman, Some Descendants of Phillip Shearman, ..., 1968.
Monmouth Co, NJ, Howell twp, p 295
James Shearman 1221001-110001
David Shearman, Sr 0000001-11001
Thomas Shearman, 010000001-100001
David Shearman, Jr, 00001-10001
Note: John Sherman Directory, Volume 3, pg 1975 states all children of Oliver born between 1753 and 1758. (Note that this is a guesstimate, Hank Sherman)
Monmouth Co. NJ. Howell Twp. On 26 August 1813, Edward Lafetra sold to Thomas Shearman for $75.00 a lot of 17 acres of land lying between Rack Pond and Branch Pond on the North side of Manasquan River and near Three Corners Pond.
It mentions Thomas Shearman and his heirs. Witnesses were: Erick Jackson and James Morris. From: Granville Hough papers of California.
Added 7-25-2011 from Descendants of: 11th generation.
Oliver Sherman, son of Thomas and Phebe Lawton Sherman, born 23, Jan 1732, Freetown, MA, died abt 1800. Married abt 1752, Abigail __________. Oliver and Abigail Sherman had the following children:
Thomas W. Sherman, b: Nov 12, 1760. Died May 17, 1840, : Married Hester 1st and Catharine 2nd.
James Sherman, b: Abt 1755, died: Jan 21, 1799.
Mary Sherman: Married Levi Vannote.
David Sherman. (Added recently by Granville Hough of CA 1995/6.)
Visitors to this page...