Philip SHEARMAN (bapt 5 Feb. 1610/11 in Dedham, Co. Essex, England - Mar 1687 Portsmouth, RI) came to MA as a single man in 1633. Soon after arriving, he married in 1633 in Roxbury, MA, Sarah ODDING (b: about 1615 England - alive in 1681), dau of George and Margaret (_____) ODDING of England. Sarah had come to MA with her remarried mother and her stepfather, John PORTER. Phillip returned to England, but was back by 1637, when he took part in a objection to the practices of the established church. He apparently sympathized with the Quakers in their beliefs. He was ordered to disarm and was banished from the Bay colony in 1637 when he supported Ann Hutchison when she was persecuted as a Quaker in Boston. By 1638 he had joined others in moving to Rhode Island, where they purchased the Island Aquidnech in the Narragansett Bay. Philip SHEARMAN became the Secretary of the Rhode island Colony when it was formed in 1639. He served as town clerk for Portsmouth for many years, and was generally prominent in civic affairs.
He and Sarah had:
1. Eber (Dec. 1634 Roxbury - 1706, bur North Kingstown, RI) married (1) Mary WILCOX, dau of Edward WILCOX, and lived at Kings Town, RI. Their children included. Eber; Samuel; Stephen; Elisha; William; Peleg; and Abigail. Eber married (2) Sophia A. BROWN
, but no children are known.
2. Sarah ( Oct. 1636 Roxbury; - 1687/92) about 1655 md Thomas MUMFORD ( - bef 1692) of Kingstown, RI, and their MUMFORD children included. Thomas; Peleg; Abigail; Sarah;
3. Peleg (May 1638 Portsmouth, RI - 1719 Kingstown, RI) married on 25 July 1657 Elizabeth LAWTON ( - after 1711) dau of Thomas and Elizabeth "Salsburi" LAWTON, and their children included: Thomas; William; Ann; Elizabeth; Samuel; Eber; John; Benjamin; Sar ah; Isabel; and George. They lived at Portsmouth, Dartmouth, Swanzey, and Kingstown.
4. Mary (Nov 1639 - d. young).
5. Edmund (Apr 1641 - 1719) married Dorcas HICKS and lived as a farmer in Portsmouth and Dartmouth, MA. Children included. Elkanah; Nathaniel; Nathan; David; Lydia; Samuel; Elnathan; and Joseph. 6. Samson (Apr 1642 - 27 June 1718) was a farmer who on 4 Mar 1675 md Isabel TRIPP (about 1651 - bef. 1716), dau of John and Mary (PAINE) TRIPP, and lived in Portsmouth. Children included. Phillip; Sarah; Alice; Samson; Abiel; Isabel; and Job. 7. William (1643-1646).
8. John (Aug 1644 - 16 April 1734) married on 13 Nov 1674 Sarah SPOONER (5 Oct 1653 - after 1720), dau of William and Hannah (PRATT) SPOONER, and lived in Portsmouth and Dartmouth. Children included Phillip; Joshua; Abigail; Hannah; Isaac; Ephraim; Timothy; and John.
9. Mary (1645 _______) on 1 Apr 1668 married Samuel Shadrach WILBUR (1 Apr 1648 - before 1696) of Swansea, son of Shadrach WILBUR and they had at least one child.
10. Hannah (1647 - bef 732) married William CHASE ( 1737 son of William CHASE. The CHASE children included William; Nathaniel; Isaac; Eber; Joseph; and Hezekiah. William CHASE may have married (2) on 6 Dec 1732 Priscilla PERRY.
11. Samuel (1648 - 9 Oct 1717) was a farmer who on 23 Feb 1681 married Martha TRIPP (about 1658 - after 1717), dau of John and Mary (PAINE) TRIPP. Their children included Sarah; Mary; Mehitable; Samuel; Othniel; John; Ebenezer; Martha; and Rebecca. They lived in Portsmouth, RI.
12. Benjamin (1650 - 24 Sep 1719) on 3 Dec 1674 married Hannah MOWRY (28 Sep 1656 - after 1718), dau of Roger and Mary (JOHNSON) MOWRY. They lived in Portsmouth and children included Benjamin; Jonathan; Joseph; Hannah; Amey; Sarah; Isaac; Mehitable; Debor ah; Abigail; Freelove; and Bethiah.
13. Phillipa (1 Oct 1652 - ) about 1673 married Benjamin CHASE (1639 Yarmouth - 1731 Freetown, MA), son of William and Mary CHASE of Yarmouth MA. Their CHASE children included Phillipa; Benjamin; Waiter; Bethiah; Mary; and Sarah.
Shearman lineage is Philip and Sarah (Odding) of England, MA, and RI. Samuel and Phillipa (Ward) of Dedham, Essex. Henry and Susan (Lawrance) of Dedham, Essex. Henry and Agnes (Butter) of Yaxley, Suffolk. Thomas and Jane (Waller) of Norfolk and Suffolk. John and Agnes (Fuller) of Suffolk. Thomas and Agnes (_____) of Suffolk;
Odding lineage is Sarah and Philip Shearman; George; and Margaret (_____ ) Odding, probably of Dedham, Essex; England.
References for Shea P&S, 6 Oct 1990:
pp 178-179, Austin
p 282, Colket
PP 24-28, Roy V. Sherman, Some descendants of Philip Shearman, 1968.
pp 15, 19, 95, Thomas T. Sherman, Sherman Genealogy, 1920.
James N. Arnold Vital Records of Rhode Island, 1636-1850, Vol 4, Newport County.
Pp 226 - 230, Vol. II, Rev. David Sherman, "The Sherman Family."
Narragansett Historical Register. 1883-84.
Vol. 3: 2050/2051, John Sherman, Sherman Directory.
[Go back to Hank Sherman's "1st" Page!]
[Go back to Hank Sherman's Genealogy "2nd" Page!]